Friday, September 07, 2007

Letter to a Future Historian

To whom this may concern:

Will an American president ever utter the phrase, “crimes committed in the name of the American people”? After an acrimonious election and faced with concluding a contentious war in Iraq, the public will need some idea, some formula, to move forward.

I doubt this exact phrase will be used, given that it is how Adenauer convinced Germans of their guilt in the postwar era. “In the name of” allowed enough ambiguity as to what role the German public played in Nazism and the atrocities it caused. It allowed them to sense that they were victims as well as perpetrators of the horrors of war. And given Germans reacted better post-WWII than post-WWI, it was a more effective means of dealing with the recent past.

Eventually, scholars turned their attention to the people, much as I expect will happen in American history. After political history has been exhausted, the public becomes a prime target for analysis. First the policy, then the people. You are the first historian to look at the ambitions and fears of Americans in the “aughts,” and your book will rankle those invested in a particular interpretation of the Iraq War, especially its origins. As much as I welcome the change in discourse on foreign policy, it seems that most Americans are running from defeat rather than embracing ethics and responsibility. Few talk of what we owe Iraqis in the longterm. Public complicity is on no one’s tongue.

Until your monograph is published, historians will have focussed on the deception, or in a few cases, uncertainty. They will have focused on President Bush and his administration. Lies are, however, told for war, but they always find an audience hungry to hear them. Who looked for the River Ebro on a map? Why was “remembering the Maine” such a belligerent act? The invasion of Iraq was sold to a public that feared the foreigner, feared the world, and resented so-called friends who would restrain our global initiatives. It was a public that distrusted the UN. It was a public that put Arabs, Muslims and Middle East countries in the same constellation as terrorism. It was a public convinced that behind every major action, there was a state. It was a public whose faith in the war was unshaken by scandals like Abu Ghraib when they were revealed.

You will receive accolades and harangues. Please, though, be kind to us. You are one generation looking back on another. The middle class is always slow to mobilize, and memory takes time to integrate painful images and experiences. Like the young Germans of the 1960s, you will have a perspective borne in distance that helps you see the war.

Good luck, and good sales,

Nathanael D. Robinson

21 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me and my friend were arguing about an issue similar to this! Now I know that I was right. lol! Thanks for the information you post. Please come visit my site Anaheim Yellow Page Business Directory when you got time.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger rr8004 said...

You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbee and your success is very much an inspiration for me. Please come visit my site Alberta Travel Guide when you got time.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger rr8004 said...

Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write in my site something like that. Can I take part of your post to my blog? Please come visit my site Ontario Travel Guide when you got time.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is obviously a lot more than this. Would you mind telling me how long it took you to gather your content? Please come visit my site hiv early symptoms when you got time.

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This article was extremely interesting, especially since I was searching for thoughts on this subject last Thursday. Please come visit my site symptoms of diabetes when you got time.

 
At 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your work! GREAT post! I looked around for this… but I found you! Anyway, would you mind if I threw up a backlink from my site?
Please come visit my site Raleigh Yellow Page Business Directory when you got time. Thanks.

 
At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching for info on this subject last Thursday. Please come visit my site Henderson Business Directory when you got time.

 
At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

me know. Please come visit my site Lincoln Yellow Page Business Directory when you

 
At 12:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey congrats on the new posting come out
btw i love your blog although i have just stumbled upon it =)
Love the new pictures you got there! Please come visit my site Business Resources Comprehensive Listings when you got time.

 
At 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey congrats on the new posting come out
btw i love your blog although i have just stumbled upon it =)
Love the new pictures you got there! Please come visit my site Memphis Directory Businesses when you got time.

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Newbie, I am always searching online for information that can help me. Thank you. Please come visit my site Michigan MI Phone Directory when you got time.

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Newbie, I am always searching online for information that can help me. Thank you. Please come visit my site Detroit Business Services And Classifieds when you got time.

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your site on google, great site, keep it up. Will return in the future. Submitted this post to Google News Reader. Please come visit my site Columbus Business Services And Classifieds when you got time.

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your site on google, great site, keep it up. Will return in the future. Submitted this post to Google News Reader. Please come visit my site Ohio OH Phone Directory when you got time.

 
At 1:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such interesting read and information, thanks for sharing this post. I will check back to read your other new posts. Please come visit my site Durham City Business Listings when you got time.

 
At 1:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such interesting read and information, thanks for sharing this post. I will check back to read your other new posts. Please come visit my site Business Resources Comprehensive Listings when you got time.

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger rr8004 said...

It is very interesting article and quite impressive and more informative and looking forward to read such article. Please come visit my site Baltimore Business Services And Classifieds when you got time.

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger rr8004 said...

It is very interesting article and quite impressive and more informative and looking forward to read such article. Please come visit my site Baltimore Phone Book when you got time.

 
At 3:41 AM, Blogger rr8004 said...

Awesome! I have read a lot on this topic, but you definitely give it a good vibe. This is a great post. Will be back to read more! Please come visit my site Louisville City Business Listings when you got time.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger rr8004 said...

She’s really interested in this subject. Thanks again… Please come visit my site Lubbock Web Link when you got time.

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger rr8004 said...

She’s really interested in this subject. Thanks again… Please come visit my site City Guide Lubbock when you got time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home